Friday, June 17, 2005

Jungian progress report

Progress report: about 200 words of various sizes, which breaks down to two or three scenes.

Weirdness progress report: As I have written elsewhere, I am basically a card-carrying atheist who spent too many years in Catholic school to really, truly, ever have it leave her. So as a result, I regularly renounce superstition, and then, about two weeks later, crack open a book on...shamanism. Or I buy candles with cool names with gemstones that are supposed to help me process stuff. I used to pretend I didn't do this. But I do.

So the latest superstition outbreak was listening to a shamanistic CD by Alberto Villoldo, who started out a scientist, and now does ritualistic rituallly rituals based on the shamans he studied with in South America. And I listened to it last night, and basically dreamed I was in a classic Hitchcock movie, with shades of...Diabolique. Was I a murderer, or wasn't I? I woke up before I could find out.

I am taking this as a good sign. Just as I am a shamanistic atheist, I am also one of those writers who spends half the time saying it's just about producing words, and the other half the time chasing the...well, the high that writing something scary/fantastic gives you. It IS about sitting your ass down and writing to you quota. But it is also about...well, the fictive dream. So last night I had one. Thanks, Alberto. May my guide animal spirit (the pink flamingo, don't you know) show me the way. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home